Saturday, July 27, 2013

On Burning Bras

Dear Everyone,

I am a feminist.

Sincerely,
Mariah

Now, coming from a Macalester student and in all likelihood, going to a Macalester student, this is not all that shocking.  (This means I am about to preach to the converted, as I do just about every time I talk about important social issues, but I don't know what else to do, so I am doing it.)

But where I come from, I just said something controversial.  It is also controversial in Hollywood, and in circles of overly polite Minnesotans, it seems to be regarded as a political issue.  It is not.  It is none of the above.

In fact, I'm just going to go out there and say that if you are not a feminist, I do not want to be friends with you.*  You might be thinking, now Mariah, that is pretty harsh and judgmental.  It is not.

I understand that self-identifying as feminist means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.  To me (and I would dare to venture, most educated feminists) at the most basic level, this means that you recognize that women face oppression simply because they are women.  Beyond recognizing this, you believe that women deserve to live in a world free from this oppression.

So, if you are not a feminist, to me, this signifies that you don't care that 1 in 4 college-aged women experience sexual assault, and one of them could be me. You think it isn't a big deal that women do not receive equal pay for equal work, and feel the same way about the fact that someday, I will face struggles and judgments in the workplace if I choose to have children.  You refuse to recognize that women face violence, both physical and structural, each and every day, for no other reason but their body parts/ gender expression/ both.  This affects me.

Of course I don't want to be your friend if you are not a feminist.  If you are not a feminist, you don't- you can't- care about me.

Luckily, I'm good at giving people the benefit of the doubt.  You see, when Taylor Swift says she's not a feminist because she has never really thought about things as "guys versus girls,"  I understand that she isn't a feminist because she has no idea what a feminist is. And just because it is a totally stereotypical "feminist" (and mean, and not helping the cause at all) thing to do to hate on Taylor Swift, I'll highlight some other famous ladies who are evidently not feminists.  Actually, I'll let them do it, and add Katy Perry to the list.  As you will see in the link, even Lady Gaga (sex positive, generally empowering) once said she was not feminist because she loved men, but she turned it around and started using the label.  Presumably, once upon a time, Gaga thought being a feminist involved hating on men and not shaving your legs.  Each of these quotations proves to me that these ladies may not be whatever idea of feminism they have, but they probably are actually feminist.

I've been there.  I refused to identify as as a feminist for a long time because of it's association with the above, as well as general craziness.  I didn't feel like that label really worked for me.  "Like I'm really into women's rights, but I'm not going to start burning bras anytime soon."

I also thought that people would judge me for saying I was feminist because they would have even less of an idea than I did as to what it meant, and immediately jump in their minds to a pyre on which to roast all of the bras.  Where I'm from, that was probably true.  And yet, I, from a young age was yelling at my conservative male classmates about things like women's ability to hold any job a male could or empowering women to provide for themselves and not depend on their husbands.  So really, from the moment I understood even the slightest bit of the world around me, I have been a feminist.  But I had no idea. (And, for the record, I like my bra.  It is supportive.)

So I think it just needs to be cleared up, for everyone, that yep, I'm a feminist.  It isn't about politics really.  It isn't controversial.  Stop saying it like it is a dirty word or a group of extremists.  Do you love your wife, your sister, your mother, your best friend, your aunt, your grandmother, yourself?  Congratulations, you are over halfway there.

I'm a feminist.  You are probably one too.  Thank goodness.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go  take away the rights of some men, judge some women for shaving their body hair, and burn some bras.







*I feel it is necessary to clarify, I am not a jerk, and I am not at all exclusionary about who I keep company with.  If you like me (which maybe isn't always easy), and I'm not afraid you are going to harm me or others, I will probably like you and hang out with you.  (Unless you have at any point made unwanted sexual or romantic advances towards me, but that is a blog post for another day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment