Sunday, June 10, 2012

I do "Weird" Things for my Birthday

You know what they say... you can tell an awful lot about a person by the kind of birthday party they have.  Wait, they don't say that?  Well, they should.  Because looking back on recent birthday parties has made me realize the socially-conscious, history-loving, slightly hippie, dramatic young woman I am becoming (or have always been).

Take my 15th and 16th birthday parties- both pool parties where beforehand I took a big group to Feed My Starving Children, where we packed meals for those living in extreme hunger. A lot of people asked me why I would do that for my birthday, but honestly, it wasn't even being selfless. I think FMSC is one of the most fun places we can go, it is free, and we can be helpful?  Sign me up!

When I turned 17, my big birthday party was just a pool party, but on the day of my birthday, I was saying goodbye to a very dear friend of mine, a foreign exchange student from Germany.  We decided to go to one of my favorite places (and a place she hadn't yet seen)- the Minnesota History Museum.  My sister boldly declared I was a nerd and questioned my sanity.  But we had so much fun.  We even made lighthouse hats to commemorate the Split Rock Lighthouse.  You wish you were that cool.

For my 18th, I was honestly so focused on graduating that I didn't do anything huge.

And as for this year- I am turning 19 tomorrow, and I will be heading to a personal shopping appointment at a thrift store with my mom and sister!  My party will be the following weekend, and we will be heading back to the 50s to solve a murder mystery.

Sound like me?  I think it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment